Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Next Step...uh, Click...In Democracy?

We can do awesome things on the internet: check our bank account, shop, create digital memory books, etc. Often, we take for granted all the amazing tasks we can complete in the click of a button, simply because we have come to expect it. I have noticed a strange theme throughout my blogs this semester—unintentional as it may be—and that is the idea of easy communication. With technology, people think everything should be one, two, three and done. Obviously, then, it should come as no surprise when I introduce my next topic. Elections…online?!

Think about it. What could easier than conducting your vote for president, governor, mayor in the comfort of your own home, on your personal computer, on your own time. The reasoning behind such a proclamation is valid. Right?

Well, as Doug Gross (2011) states, it depends on who you ask. Some advocate that, in this new digital age, we need to change our methods and embrace the technology before us. And it makes sense. How many votes cannot make it to the polls because of time conflicts? Lack of transportation? As Rob Weber (2011) points out, “The digital revolution has the ability to revolutionize our entire political system by revolutionizing our voting system.” Yet, we have steered clear of this, a method that could make the voting process swift, easy, and efficient.

However, not all are as supportive. Avi Rubin does not feel online voting is a safe alternative to the method we currently have. There is a reason we stick to paper polls: they work. His fear is the hackers. Would hackers find it difficult to invade an online poll and switch the tallies? One quality online voting does not possess is accuracy. Especially in a presidential election, accuracy is a key component. Remember the Presidential Election of 2000: one state with skewed counts set the entire election in jeopardy. Online voting could potentially open the doors for more issues of this nature.

Each side presents a strong argument. However, we must ask ourselves, just because the technology is there, must we utilize it? It’s like saying that a student has to use his personal answer sheet because it’s there. Ultimately, he’s cheating. Does placing the voting process online cheat us out of a true democratic system? The possible arguments are endless, and we could never reach a full consensus. Online voting software exists and is currently operational. Perhaps they need to be implemented on a trial basis. Like I said, people want easy, but when does easy go too far? Elections…online?! You be the judge…

4 comments:

  1. I do believe in our technological age we should vote online. The electoral college does not do justice to my vote. When North Dakota has 3 electoral votes, how does this truly represent my vote especially when I live in a part of the state that is growing rapidly? It does not. I do understand the need for security measures; however, there are devices in production currently that would allow the highest security possible in the voting arena. If we want to really uphold our democratic society as a model for other countries, I believe we should institute technology to allow people to vote online. Thanks for this opportunity to share on a very heartfelt topic of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a HUGE fan of technology, but I don't dare vote online. Let's get real, the hacker group anonymous could hack that system to shreds. They destroyed SONY and i bet they could do the same to an online voting system. Code is made to be broken. I think that it could be done, but there is something special about going into a polling location to vote. I think that it is inevitable that we go to an online voting system, but it needs to be tested and tested and tested and tested and for now I think that it is just a better idea to have small locations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is just way too much risk by voting online. Hackers, malfunctions and the people who don't own computers are just some of the reasons to avoid doing so. I think it would be ideal and very convenient, but there is just a lot of risk of things going wrong.
    I agree with Simon that it will probably happen eventually, but a lot of time and thought must go into it before it can happen. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened in 10 years, but I guess we will have to wait and see. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Online voting! This is something I would definitely go for. I know that it is my right to go vote, but sometimes I just don’t make it. An online voting system would get a better count I think. However, I do understand that the system could be hacked and the voting ruined. It would be something to look into if a firewall could take care of all the potential hacking problems. I cannot wait to see what happens in the future with this idea! Interesting post Kyle!

    ReplyDelete