Tuesday, November 29, 2011

What Comes After PC....Perhaps UB?

It was only weeks ago that we were discussing the end of simple technologies. Libraries. Newspapers. All ceasing to exist as we know them thanks to the rise in the Internet. And what led to the rise in the Internet? The rise in the Personal Computer. Yes, the PC. Both loved and loathed on several different levels. Now that we are at the end of the PC, what’s next? We already have the portable pads (iPad, Kindle Fire). Is there anything that we have yet to acquire?

As a matter of fact, yes. Introducing the new Ultrabook. It seems only right that, since Apple led to the fall of the PC, they also lead to the promoting of it during the second go-round. Ultimately, what started as Apple’s engineering led to a sudden invention that none expected. According to Kerdick (2011), the Ultrabook is simply a laptop with a couple modifications:

  • is less than 20mm (0.8 inches) thick
  • has no optical drive
  • uses a solid-state drive (SSD) for all storage
  • uses a Core i5, i7 processor
  • weighs less than 1.4 kg (3.1 lbs.)
  • yields 5 - 8+ hours of battery life
  • priced around $1,000

Not only is the Ultrabook the next line in technological advancement, but Goldman (2011) expects that “the rise of the Ultrabook will happen quickly.” Just as the PC started, then the iPad, the Ultrabook is forecasted to account for a huge proportion of netbook sales by 2015.

Now, as always, we have the so what? The Ultrabook may be the next step in PC technology, but where does that leave the personal computer? Obviously, we cannot simply forget the PC just because something better comes along. It is nice to know that we are growing as a society and that each year we get a step closer to superb innovations, but when do we say stop. Like I have said multiple times this semester, I am all for “what’s next”, but only so long as we don’t forget “what’s now.”

The PC may be outdated, but it’s not dead. If we move in this new direction, it will only be a matter of years before the Ultrabook is outdated as well. These are necessary updates and we need to learn to advance our technology, but we also need to know when to leave well enough alone. Movies like iRobot and Eagle Eye predict that technology will one day rule us, not the other way around. We can only hope that is at least a decade off still.

3 comments:

  1. Technology does seem to control our daily lives sometimes. New innovations come out so frequently that we forget when or how the other pieces of technology came from. Didn't the iPad and Kindle Fire just get released? I love my PC, but I am looking to upgrade my cell phone so now I need a data plan and I will be able to access the Internet. So long PC right? For many years our country had a great American smoke out day where people gave up smoking for one day. I think we need a great American technology free day. The results may surprise us! By the way the price of an Ultrabook is very affordable and will be very appealing to many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT BLOG! EXCELLENT! I actually am posting from an Ultrabook. I am using the Mac Air. This is the first in the category of Ultrabooks. Let me just say that I am extremely excited for this category of computing. I love the EXTREME portability and the battery life is insane. The newest version of the Mac Air with the i5 is the first Ultrabook that can clearly serve as an every day computer. I use it for everything. I am going to CES in January in Las Vegas. The conference is set to premiere several new Ultrabooks. When I was looking for a computer this fall, the only 2 on the market were the Mac Air and the Samsung Series 9. I went with the Air and run Parallels so I have both operating systems. LOVE IT! The only thing that I would say is that an Ultrabook is a PC. I believe what you were referring to is a Desktop. Yes those are not nearly as popular as they once were. Although they are not used much within the homes, businesses use them considerably.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Ultrabook is just another technology to add to the list. Everyone knows that the globe is consumed by the technological world and we will never cease trying to advance. When is the time to call it quits? It is scary to think that one day computers may be able to function exactly like humans. I feel as if this technology is far off, but it all starts somewhere. I enjoyed your blog Kyle! Great job!

    ReplyDelete