Monday, December 5, 2011

Forget Jamaica or Hawaii: Want a Destination for Fun – Try Facebook

In 2006, the Pew Research Institute conducted a study and found that 45% of internet users only go online because it’s fun. Five years later, that number has gone up to 53%. Just for fun. Think about that. How many times does one connect to the net to check who liked their status or which celebrity tweeted what? Samantha Murphy (2011) comments that we use the Internet as a “diversion” or because want to have fun. This may be especially true this week, of all weeks, simply because it is when college students are bombarded with the most stress.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but this is my last week before finals week (hell week). I couldn’t be more excited. As I sit here, writing this final blog, all I can think about is December 17th—school is done and the Internet is at my disposal. I am not dictated anymore to what I look up or when I do what. Basically, I am saying that I douse the Internet as a source of entertainment, as I am sure you all do as well. We have to feel a degree of motivation to go online, and if fun is it, then that it is.

As we have discussed all semester, technology is great! The benefits added to our lives thanks to this gadget or that gizmo cannot be duplicated. However, as I demonstrated above, we are now using technology to escape the world around us. We are looking for any reason to login and procrastinate. For instance, when attempting to write a paper, I gave myself ten minutes of Facebook for one paragraph. Users of technology will find ways to enjoy their time online, even if the reasons did not exist previously.

Technology is changing the way we live. Fifteen years ago, I was in the middle of 1st grade and all my assignments were Xeroxed and my toys were a Lite Brite or Etch-N-Sketch. The burdens of simple life have vanished. But I ask now, sincerely, were they that burdensome? Did anyone truly ever feel pain because their Etch-N-Sketch didn’t draw the line as intended? No. Can Facebook make someone want to commit suicide? Yes. Megan Meier is one perfect example of someone looking for fun online and losing everything because of it.

The Internet is the future. But we cannot forget the past in the process. In 2006, only five years ago, 45% of Internet users were online because it was fun. Now, that number has jumped 8%. Our stressful lives have allowed the Internet to become a safe haven, but we forget how dangerous the World Wide Web can be. If given a choice, I would take a Lite Brite every time.

Well, that's all. From the World of My Head to your computer screen, thanks for reading and commenting. Enjoy the rest of your college years and good luck on finals.

3 comments:

  1. Facebook is meant to be fun. A lady at my husband's company party talked about gambling on Facebook. People farm on Facebook. However being wise to the dangers that the Internet has is important. The Internet has made our lives better in one regard and stressful in another. From being kept in constant contact with each other to having your semester test lock up on you, the Internet has invaded every aspect of our lives. Educating our youth is important to ensuring their Internet experience is a positive one and not a negative one. As you mentioned, now you have time to do your own searches instead of being dictated to. These personal Internet searches are the ones we definitely need to be careful of and watch what we say about ourselves. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great last post. I will have to admit, I wasn't a fan of writing these things, but towards the end I found them a lot easier to write and almost kind of enjoyed it.
    I think the number will continue to increase, especially with mobile technology involves even more. I go on the internet every single day to just roam around even if its only for five minutes. I feel as if I need just a little fix.
    Your headline had me real interested in reading your blog, nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely agree Kyle! I cannot wait to use the internet for my own entertainment again. I definitely think that the internet is a fun place to go because of all the possibilities. One can do almost anything on the internet to entertain themselves. This is why it may actually be better than a vacation. The internet is definitely the future and changes regularly. More things are available via the internet every year and this is what makes it so exciting. Interesting post Kyle and good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete